Sunday, September 19, 2010

So much to say I can't even talk- Many many firsts


Costa Rica: Well.  Well. It was really amazing. I was shocked to realize to live like an American I needed oodles of money because American chocolate was imported and very expensive... anything in English was very expensive. I'm used to my comfort foods for sure. Something that became very apparent to me...if I truly want to go and be a missionary, I can't have any addictions.  I can't be addicted to coffee, diet coke, chocolate or chips and salsa... pizza, ice cream etc... and I was very happy that I could live without those things... although I did spend a lot of money buying imported American chocolate... a small bag of Hershey's kisses was $7.00 and it was so small I could eat that in one sitting.  The choices were very limited...Hersheys or Cadbury.  ( OH, the picture is of Annah and my grandson, Elias. He is 3. Its a wee bit ticklish having a 5 year old daughter and 3 year old grandson. :) )
There are a zillion ways to make the most amazing meals out of beans and rice to which are gleefully served at every meal. I became so dependent on my meals of rice and beans that when I got back home that is what I wanted to eat.  
Transportation... I would never ever ever drive there or own a vehicle. I would take public transportation. Absolutely no road rules followed.  And pedestrians absolutely do not have any rights. None. Cross roads at your own risk.  I kid you not. 
Even though it was July there, it was the beginning of their rainy season so it rained everyday. It was a very happy experience.  I can't say that I would be jumping up and down to live there but, if I was given that opportunity to go serve God there, I would jump up and down for that. But, to just want to pack up and go live there for the heck of it....no.  I haven't been to very many places but of all the places I've been, I've never been anywhere that I love more than Texas and more than my spot on earth here at home. But again, I'd trade it all for an opportunity to go serve God on the mission field full time. That is what I came away with.  :)  I LOVE YWAM. Love it.

This particular YWAM base in Heredia is very focused on raising their own animals, farming, training how to live in the jungle and live off the land. Most of the juice we drank was all freshly made from fresh  fruits. Annah loved helping to cook.  Very time consuming.

My amazingly handsome son, dad and of course, Annah. My parents went to Costa Rica for the first week and stayed at a really  nice Villa down the road from the YWAM base. It was so much fun having them there.












My mom and daughter in law, Karmy!!!! They are both sweeter than sugar. They are so sweet you will get a cavity just being around them. 
We did LOTS O'walking. Lots.

I loved this little house.  We passed it every day on walks...walks that felt like you were lucky to be alive when you got back home because cars do not care that you are on the road and I had to constantly be on guard.  But, isn't this just the cutest house ever. :)
  In the meantime, we got back home and even though we are homeschooling Annah, she is enrolled in an all day homeschool enrichment program where she is in a Kindergarten class,Spanish and Math class. So, this is her first day of homeschool school away from home. AND, the baby that I had to crop out is a foster baby we have had for almost a month. Not allowed to show her face. She is a dear dear dear dear baby girl. I love her oodles.
Annah's first soccer game! We have had two so far. LOST big time. Like major lost. I said I was NOT going to be one of those soccer moms but, gosh. I am just so competitive. I was basically pulling my hair out and pacing the field and trying to be nice and clap when they 'try' ... but inside I'm wanting to scream PAY ATTENTION...... GOAL IS THAT WAY, NOT THAT WAY.... and the little Pink Princesses were kicking in goal after goal after goal.
 You can't tell here but Annah lost her first tooth. You can't see it because she already has the other permanent one in. But, What was SO SO cute was she told me she had hidden the tooth under 'a pillow'...not her pillow but 'a pillow'.... she told me she wasn't going to tell us which pillow it was under because only the Tooth Fairy needs to know and can find it herself.
Lots of first... first skating rink..... Paul is the brave one going out on the rink to help her. I stayed behind the safety bricks because I had the baby. :)
AND, I read the most AMAZING book, "The Man with the Bird on His head."... you have to read it. You just have to.Its a true account of a man who was an atheist turned Christian, pastor, and then went into YWAM, went on his first outreach on a ship to an island that was partially reached but, the other part was not because they were waiting for a prophesy to be fullfilled... they were waiting for John Frum... (in National Geographic and was featured on 20/20 or something years ago).... John Frum was from America and come on a big white ship and bring them medical supplies and help them live... they completely rejected the message of Christ... and this man, John...well, you have to read it to believe it. 

So to sum it all up... First time in Costa Rica, First day of school, first lost tooth, first skate, first soccer game.... wow. :)
"The moment a man falls into sin, divine life ceases to flow, and his life becomes one of helplessness." - Smith Wigglesworth




7 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you are back to the blogging world! And I'm glad you had a great time in Costa Rica! We had an awesome month there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So much to take in. Glad you made it back safe and sound. Missed ya while you were gone. I need to read your post several times to get it all. Great report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby, it's good to have you back in blogland! It sounds like an amazing time. Don't overdose on chocolate etc now that you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, LOTS of firsts! Welcome back, first of all! Glad you had a terrific time in Costa Rica! In S. Africa, we miss corn chips! Their chocolate is way better than ours but corn chips are not easily available and more expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister Libby,
    You have been a very busy young lady. Your photos and updates on the adventurous life of Libby were amazing. Glad to have you back. ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable picture of your baby and grandbaby!!! If you get sent to Costa Rica or somewhere like that as a missionary....I will send you chocolate in a care package...it will probably be melted so I will unwrap it and put it all into a container so when it melts it will melt in one big glob. Your friends will have your chocolate addiction covered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. $7.00 for a small bag of Hershey kisses, I would be in trouble down there for sure! but it sounds like your trip to Costa Rica was a good one and I'm glad your parents could come down there and spend some of the time with you all. It is neat how you would go wherever the Lord would lead you on the mission field even if it was out of your "comfort zone". Awesome. How exciting for Annah with all that she is doing these days between soccer, homeschooling, ice skating, etc. (I'm with you, send the menfolk to do that part of parenting, I always hugged the side walls when we went with the kids). how neat you have a little foster baby. I follow another blog that has done fostering and has adopted two of them and getting ready to adopt the third one, leaving her with a family of six adorable children :)

    I'm glad you are back to blogging :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete