Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The first day of class

I began my college Spanish class today. Wow. I was worried that because it was a beginner class that I would just know it all... oh my gosh. I walked in facing a lab of computers... I double checked to make sure I was in a Spanish class... "yes, sit down and go to the Spanish folder and play around until the instructor gets here".... sooooo, I held my head high, sat down at the first computer I saw and pretended to know exactly what to do. I had no idea. I clicked on a folder that said Spanish... soooo, which thingie do I go into...Dos Mundos 5, or 6 or something else???? Lets try 5... but then I overheard the fill in instructer tell someone to go into 6.... and it was all in Spanish...

......so then the instructor gets here... talks with that real fast talk.... forget just learning colors and numbers...no.... she was asking us questions and using full blown phrases and what I learned today was that most of my classmates are kids out of highschool who had Spanish classes and this is a beginning Spanish class at an Academic college level and I am probably way behind all of them.

.... I learned that I have a very Texas accent and I am slow to speak.... I pause alot. I do this because I always try to think about what I am about to say because I am notorious and I do mean notorious for saying the wrong thing.... so I am pretty careful about what I say and therefore I usually think before each word and each word has a bit of Texas in it.... this does not go well with fast speaking Spanish persons.... she asked me what my name was in Spanish and I know how to ask what a persons name is and I know how to say my name etc...but when she says it...it was SO fast that I couldn't process it fast enough to answer fast enough.... I bet to her it sounds like "Meeeeee l l aaammmaaaaa Liiiiiiibbbbbbbbyyyyyyy" Sloowww and TXan. Next, I went to the bookstore to get my books and got a total cost of 3x what my class cost and thats with my textbook being Used. I'm not really grumbling or complaining... I actually kinda have a lopsided grin on my face at the wonder of it all... I mean...I am truly in wonder... kinda in awe of the whole experience. My class is going to be really difficult and my books cost more than my class. Wow. This is really amazing. I am living the dream! :)

I drove home pleading with God to make my brain work. I tried to remind Him about the Tower of Babel and how He miraculously gave them all different and new languages so surely He could give me one .... specifically Spanish.

I can do this. :)

"The strength of a man consists in finding out the way God is going, and going that way." - Henry Ward Beecher

3 comments:

  1. I'll pray for you ( in English )

    "Esté seguro y puede Dios estar con usted"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it LIbby!! When we went to language school in Costa Rica it was all in Spanish, and I thought, "How in the world are we expected to learn?? I can't understand anything they are saying." But they know what they are doing. You will get it!! And then we will send comments to each other in Spanish!
    Adelante!!!!!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well..I totally understand what you are saying.

    However, you have such a desire to learn...you are going to do very well. Maybe you can teach me...hahaha!!! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete