Saturday, January 2, 2010

Peter & Judas






















I really really really love studying about the apostles. Mostly because they were so human. There have been times as a mature Christian...and I do consider myself a mature Christian...not just in age but in my knowledge and walk with God. Therefore, when I mess up... when I act very very very wrong... or I wrong someone... or anything of the human nature side that causes me to be utterly shocked at myself or hang my head in temporary shame... I like to remember that the road traveled before me was walked by some of the most mightiest men of God who not only experienced miracles and wonder and the very presence of God, but we also know by written account that they to fell down, doubted, did wrong things, made wrong choices. David....as an example...to whom God said was a man after his own heart... had a man murdered and stole his wife and when he became aware at just how wrong that was...he was greatly grieved and he did suffer the consequences of that but he went on with God, he continued to move forward and be blessed by God and used by God.

There have been times when I have been just completely shocked at myself. I have stood back in aghast at myself and my actions. I've reacted to things that hurt others greatly. During those times when I have been so foolish and all the while still a 'mature' Christian.... I believe someone is mature in Christ when they have walked and they know and they are very aware of the Word, of how to walk, beyond milk.... there was a time when I was 'new' and I didn't know better in a lot of things but by now....I know. I know better....

....so anyways, during those times when I am just shy of kicking myself or beating my head against the wall, I remember Peter and Judas. I remember both had equal opportunity during their walk with Christ. They both saw. They both heard. They experienced the same thing and they both, not exactly equally but pretty close....both pretty much denied Christ...one sold him out and one flat out denied even knowing him. Judas sold him out, Peter denied.
But the difference is HUGE... the difference is that Judas hung himself and Peter went on to do mighty things for Christ. It was Peter who preached to the masses in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost and it is his message which is recorded in the New Testament of the Bible, the book of Acts, chapter 2. In fact, much is written about the apostle Peter in the first 12 chapters of the book of Acts in the New Testament. It was Peter who healed a man over 40 years of age who had been crippled from birth with but the words, "Silver and Gold I do not have, but what I have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."

Both men were greatly tormented and grieved in great distress over their actions... but Judas hung himself...Peter wept and he wept bitterly the Word tells us but..... he went on stronger.
So if you find yourself flat on your face .... get up, dust yourself off.... weep bitterly if you need to...but get going stronger. :)


2 comments:

  1. Amen! Thanks for a great post

    This side of heaven the Lord needs to continually be conforming his children into the image of His Son. The older I get and the closer I get to the time I will meet my Lord, the more aware I am of my total unworthiness that I should be called a child of God. My failing's are legion, but PTL the Blood of Christ covers them ALL..

    God bless you, Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks - i will keep going after the death of my wife and be peter rather than a judas

    ReplyDelete