Saturday, September 26, 2009

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder















Well. So. I was out jogging again and I saw my hawk. (As mentioned in a previous blog ) He circled me. I was just intrigued. He just really wanted to be my friend.

I merrily continued to jog and I saw another hawk. I thought... that's odd ... they are usually alone. And then I saw another one. And then I was just so amazed when I saw one huddled in a tree with a baby hawk. And they circled. And they hovered. I was just getting more popular than ever in the hawk kingdom. They sure weren't afraid to come around me anymore. Wow.

I had a lighter step to my jog and a smile on my face as I got home. I wanted to tell Paul all about my hawks and my oneness to nature.

But. Soooooooo

Turns out I don't have a hawk hovering over me as I jog at all. I do not have a majestic family of hawks who like me. No hello's from heaven from a hawk.

Paul told me I am being hovered by Vultures. At first I was like NO. No way. Uh uh. No. But, then I went and looked up vulture images and yes, my hawk is actually a vulture.

I love birds. All birds. But, vultures do not have a pleasant reputation. However, because I am an optimist I did find this wonderful tidbit: In Ancient Egypt the vulture was a symbol of motherhood and of lasting romantic love. :) I'll take that.

However, as it turns out, vultures have now moved into my jogging area. And they are not afraid to fly around low and in little packs. Therefore, I just so happen to be jogging in the middle of their new feeding ground.

Creepy yet fascinating to me. I do know that once they set up camp... there will be tons down there. This particular place I jog too is what I have, for years, called "Pooh Corner"... and I call it Pooh Corner because there is a Pooh movie where nobody can find Eeyore and they finally found him in the most beautiful place where he loved to go because he was alone and it was a happy, tranquil place. And this is how I feel about this place I jog to. Nobody is there. Its all nature, trees, the lake and all its sounds .... completely isolated. I have never seen anyone there. But, the vultures have now found it.

Fortunately I enjoy watching them. I am still intrigued and amazed at their vast wing span and the way they soar. I appreciate the fact that they are not a prey species but rather a species that cleans up the world and they are particularly useful here in the Texas heat and especially by the lake because the smell of dead fish aroma is rather nasty but now that the vultures are here, my little area will be nice and clean.

I guess I should just hope I never fall and hurt myself badly..... ???? Nahhh, they wouldn't.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, vultures do not have a great reputation but that's a cool tidbit of information you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least they will keep your path clean. I think you have to be dead before they try and eat you...at least I hope so...

    ReplyDelete