Thursday, October 8, 2009

Same Kind of Different

I am currently reading this book.. "Same kind of different as me".... I am on Chapter 24. It is quickly becoming on of my most treasured readings.... right up there with 'China Cry'.

Here is what it is about:

Meet Denver, a man raised under plantation-style slavery in Louisiana in the 1960s; a man who escaped, hopping a train to wander, homeless, for eighteen years on the streets of Dallas, Texas. No longer a slave, Denver's life was still hopeless-until God moved. First came a godly woman who prayed, listened, and obeyed. And then came her husband, Ron, an international arts dealer at home in a world of Armani-suited millionaires. And then they all came together.

But slavery takes many forms. Deborah discovers that she has cancer. In the face of possible death, she charges her husband to rescue Denver. Who will be saved, and who will be lost? What is the future for these unlikely three? What is God doing?

Same Kind of Different As Me is the emotional tale of their story: a telling of pain and laughter, doubt and tears, dug out between the bondages of this earth and the free possibility of heaven. No reader or listener will ever forget it.

It is also a soon to be movie with Samuel L. Jackson portraying Denver. You can read about it here.
Annah had her 4 year old required shots today. Because we homeschool, I do not necessarily have to keep up with shots but, despite the controversy... I feel better that she has her immunizations. For me personally, I measure the risk as small compared to the disease itself so therefore, we choose to keep up with these vaccines.

She also had her well child check up which she passed with flying colors and being Over the 95 percentile in both height and weight for her age. Who could ever look at this beautiful child and know she was just a handful of a baby at 3.8 lbs?

This is a pile of material that I am piecing together to make a rag quilt for our bed. Its called "Texas" because rather than having any sense of continuity it has fall colors that suddenly turn springy and then rapidly rainy and chilly back to happy summer colors... Tiffany doesn't like quilts that do not have any sense of matching.. but me, I like it all thrown and pieced together like craziness which I worry represents my brain and thought process. ????

Now, off to do things that need to be done such as cleaning my kitchen, hugging Annah and chasing butterflys which seem to be in abundance here at this time. God bless !!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have that book but I haven't read it. It's on my list of reads!

    What kind of home schooling curriculum do you use? I'm home schooling Joshua next year so I'm currently hunting and praying about it.

    Please show the finished quilt when it's done! I'm a sucker for quilts!

    ReplyDelete