Saturday, December 5, 2009

Birth moms and Spanish Courses

I did a public search for Annah's birth mom... I twitch a bit when I use the word 'mom' but, when I watch all those Locator shows with Troy Dunn and such, they always say "Hi I'm your mom"...or "I'm your REAL mom"... Not sure how I feel about that...so I would be the fake mom? LOL :-) But still, I guess it just amazes me at how natural that just comes...for the birth parent after 18 or more years to automatically fall into the role of addressing themselves as the real mom or real dad... I think its just the way the brain is wired... if you have created them, you are, no matter what, their 'real mom' and the one who raised them is like the substitute teacher or something. I guess I watch to many of those shows...
Anyhooos, after 4 years I found her. She's locked up so, an address was easy. I printed out pictures of Annah and sent her a letter letting her know Annah is happy and healthy. Paul was hesitant asking me why I would do that when she may not even care... I said...of course she cares. The part of her that may not care is the drugs but the mother in her will always care and she hasn't seen Annah since she was 3 months old and I'm sure she has moments of thinking about her...I just want her to know she is okay and I felt very strongly about it.
I did not include any family pictures...just of Annah.
I also explained to her we changed her name as Regina did not name her Annah but rather "Ruby". I did not include a return address or email or any such contact information. I figure if she wanted to seek me out she could always contact our past caseworker. I'm not closed to contact but I am not certain or sure about it. I was sure about the letter and the need to let her know Annah is okay...but thats the extend of it for now.

I did it. I enrolled in a Beginner Spanish Class at the local college.
At first I thought...gosh, I'm probably to advanced for this class. ( hysterical laughter )... but Tiffany assured me I would benefit. I have decided I will take every single Spanish course offered. I think there are about 8.

On the other hand, I only have 2 other courses to take to acquire an Associates of Arts degree. All the online courses were taken. Can you believe it? I even registered early. I will try again for Summer.

1 comment:

  1. I call the carrier of a baby the birth mother. Just like I call the donater of the sperm, the birth father.

    Just because you give birth does not make you a mom but it does make you a mother. Mom's are the ones who are there for you and nurture you and love on you and discipline you....

    They are the REAL moms....I don't like the term real mom when talking about the woman who gave birth to the child.

    I am so very thankful for women who give birth to babies and allow them to be adopted when they themselves can not take care of them. However, I draw the line at calling them the REAL mom.

    No Hablo Espanol....

    ReplyDelete