Sunday, April 25, 2010

Paying respect to regrets

My mom always said to try and live a life where you won't have regrets. Always say "I love you"... always hug, never leave angry, be aware of the fact that life is short and can end abruptly.  It wasn't just a casual thing she said, it was often said.  It seems that even still, even being taught to be mindful... I have just oodles of regrets. I often wonder if I have more regrets than most people...or am I average, below average.  Due to some circumstances in life I have a few people that when I think of them I have moments of sorrow ...  to Massie.... I really miss you... to Rick....I'm sorry I was so difficult, sorry for the way I acted..... to Johnathan...I'm just flat out sorry ....  To Cathy... you left this earth way to soon but somehow I just hope you know now that  I'm really sorry I was so careless about you....so immature-if I could repeat that time in life, I promise you I would do it differently.
 There's probably more............. but regarding relationships, those are my top 4 people that bring me the most sorrow, regret ....humility... pain.    

"Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future"  - Fulton Oursler

People will commonly say to not look back, don't keep licking your wounds...regret is a waste of energy....but I don't necessarily feel like regret is a waste of energy... I think its good to be able to look back and understand the consequences of our actions and to feel good or bad over them. To be so callous to look back or not look back  and not 'feel'...that just seems wrong to me.  I want to comprehend and understand that my actions had consequences to the journey I am on with Christ and people.  I want to be able to learn from my regrets...to remember...NOT to wallow in them and repeatedly kick myself but rather to learn from them and move forward and make sure the same thing does not happen again. I guess some of my regrets remain as little memorials in my head.  I do visit them. I remember. I am sorry. I walk away.  I have a very happy disposition.... I don't wallow.  However, I do visit, I do take my hat off...pay my respects...feel sorrow...walk away. And in those moments I vow that I will not repeat.  

9 comments:

  1. My goodness...you've been a busy blogger lately...where have I been??? I'll be reading here for the next half hour I bet! I'll start here and work my way down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby,
    Amazing and wonderful post. I agree...I look back on regrets as learning opportunities. There are a couple of times I wish I could have "do-overs" ... but then, I am so aware NOW of how those times helped me grow...helped to form me. I like the way you pull it together here...it's good to "pay respect" to those times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Libby~

    Your post really was a good one to get me thinking. I too have people that I know I have hurt & I still think of a friend I hurt in 7th grade that I have even tried to contact to say sorry but I can never find her. I really need to keep it in mind everyday to treat others kindly ALL the TIME :) That would solve my little prob now wouldn't it :) Now if I can just do that....life would be close to perfect here on earth :) Thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had my regret (or two or three or half dozen or a half million, LOL) but I'm also trying think "what can I do in the future so I don't have this same regret"? It does help with some things but I truly do have those moments when I do regret this or that (and so much more). One thing I do regret is that I didn't trust God more in some things and was soooo worried about this or that instead of being a better witness for him. I do hope in those circumstances again, I can be a better witness and not a regreter indeed

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to go with "don't look back". All is does is weigh me down and make me feel terrible. I used to be bad about holding on to guilt to the point of becoming ill. I can't do that anymore. This is a very thought provoking post, Libby. Thank you my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Libby! I'm just thankful that we can learn from our past and that God's grace is abundant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very natural for us to look back and regret. And many of us, probably most of us have oodles of regret in our lives. I know I do/did.

    But what I have been learning is that not only are we to forgive others and ask forgiveness from others....BUT we need to forgive ourselves as well.

    There are enemies in the spirit realm that feed on these feelings. But if we confess our sins to Jesus He is faithful to forgive us and cleanse of from all unrighteousness.

    Since I have learned this and am putting it into practice...I don't experience the sorrow, regret, humility or pain when I think about my regrets. It's not that I'm numb either...rather I am at peace because my rest is in Him now.

    Sure I wish I would have done things differently and if I could I'd go back and redo it. But I can't...so the best I can do now is to keep following after Christ and become more like him. It's a matter of walking out my transformation. And as I do that I know my regrets will be fewer and farther between.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always say "I love you"... always hug, never leave angry, be aware of the fact that life is short and can end abruptly.
    Your mother was a very wise woman. Not many of us can actually live the way she advises but we should all strive to put her advice into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think regrets are little reminders of what happened when we lost sight of God in our lives...
    But yes, I too have them (plenty) and I too believe that I learn from them without having to whip myself over and over again.

    ReplyDelete