Monday, November 16, 2009

Dog hit and run

So today I was on my way to the homeless shelter when I notice some cars slowing down. By the time I get to the little back up, the cars had moved on and there in the middle of the road is a dog that has been hit. I had some instant mixed reactions like... oh no if I stop I will be late.. oh my gosh this poor dog... because first I thought she was dead because I could not even comprehend cars driving off and leaving an alive dog but then I noticed the poor thing was trying to get up and get out of the road but couldn't .... I could not comprehend people driving away... I just couldnt', can't. They slowed, looked and kept going as she struggled and cried in pain to get out of the road. If a car had come the other direction she would of been immediately run right over because she was at the bottom of a small incline where you can't see her at all and I mean, she was obviously not dead, not near death and trying to get up and people just drove by. My car was stopped in the middle of the road with the intentions of putting her in my car.... but she was in pain and when I tried she really cried and I had no idea if she would bite me. Several cars just drove right by me...slowed to look and kept going. Nobody asked if I needed help or anything. I called Paul and told him to get Annah out of bed and come help me. While I waited, Finally a guy stopped and helped get her in my car and he was SOOO nice and eager to help anyway he could. I got her to the vet but I was way to afraid to ask what the cost would be. I signed that I agree to pay and they told me she would be there atleast 24 - 48 hours. I still don't know what it will cost. Will it cost my money saving for my plane tickets to Panama???? I can't even think about it.

The vet called me later today and told me she has a broken hip, broken pelvis and a dislocated shoulder and open wound that needs stitches. I was like....okay.... she asked me if we had named her... I was like ...um, okay, sure, Blondie..... its all I could think of. She is blonde. The vet said she is 5 months old (though rather big ) and unspayed and that I need to get her spayed because of her pelvis puppies would result in a C-section and that we need to get her started on her vaccinations and my head was just spinning off its axel because I am hearing the sound of a cash register going off in my brain ...I'm just trying to pay for this part....can we talk about spaying and vaccinations next month or something???? I take care of my pets but she doesn't know that as she has never met me before. I didn't go to my regular vet because they weren't open and farther away.

Both of our other dogs were strays including our beautiful Doberman and I thank God for both of them so I am sure this little girl will be a blessing in the end.
What was SO sweet was when I went to check on her, when she heard my voice, through all her pain, she wagged her tail ever so lightly... just a little thump.... it was so sweet, that took effort!!!
I'll go back tomorrow to pay and to see her. And have I mentioned how bad she stunk? I am not sure I ever have smelled such rotten dog smell.
The vet said she will have to stay in a crate for a month. I will have to help her in and out. Thats going to be very difficult since our house is on stilts and a long stairway to the bottom. ???? I could put her in the cottage and it would be nice and quite but it seems so isolated.... I'll ask the vet. Maybe being isolated and in quiteness will be what she needs. I can't imagine actually but the vet will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment